Sunday, May 6, 2012

Farewell Spring Semester

Wow. It's really here. The end of the semester. Spring has officially sprung, flowers are blooming, and classes are almost over. It has been a hectic five months, but I don't regret it one bit! I got my final grade in math--A! Now I just wait and see what English has in store for me. I am looking forward to the summer and spending some quality time with my lovely little family. We move to our new home in just eight short days. The next few days will be spent packing up the remainder of the house, cleaning, and tying up up any loose ends in my classes.

This semester, we were introduced to the amazing and addicting world of blogging. I thoroughly enjoyed starting my first ever blog and am planning on continuing to do so after the class has ended. Being the crazy crafter I am, I think I will start up my very own DIY blog. I have had several friends and acquaintances ask me to show them some how to do some of the crafting projects I do, so I believe this will be a wonderful opportunity. I would like to thank my instructor, Nikka, for finding fun, and creative ways to teach us. I truly have enjoyed the freedom and choices we have had in this class for writing assignments. It makes a huge difference in how you view writing when you can write about something you care about.

Here is a glimpse at what will be my first "non-school" related blog. I am redoing Kylee's bedroom when we move into the new house, and I was lusting over a rose covered lamp I seen on Pottery Barn Kids. Since I shuttered at the thought of spending $99 on a lamp shade (yes, the shade alone costs $99), I decided I would make it a project and try to duplicate it. I am very happy with the final product. Anyone, and I mean ANYONE could make this lamp. I purchased the lamp (shade and base) at the Children's Exchange Store for $4. Any lamp will do. Next, I went to Micheal's and found some small artificial roses. I used about eight bundles and each bundle had approximately 15-17 roses. From there, I just glued each rose individually with a hot glue gun onto the shade (do this in rows and it will make your life a lot easier). Tada. That's it! I had some leftover flowers and decided to glue them onto a wooden K I already had. You can find those at Hobby Lobby. This entire project cost me about $23. Hopefully I will spark some creativity in each of you. Stay posted for my next DIY blog. :)

Here is the link to the original Pottery Barn Kids lamp: http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/butterfly-shade-and-chloe-base/?pkey=e|rose%2Blamp|1|best|0|1|24||1&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-

Here is my version:

1 comment: