Sunday, May 6, 2012

College, College, College...

This week, we were to reflect back on our decision on why we decided to attend college. Although I blogged about this at the beginning of the term, I will try to find new things to talk about so I don't bore you all to death.

When I decided to enroll in college (for the second time), I knew exactly what I was getting myself involved in. I had been through it once before when I got my diploma to be a Medical Secretary. Although I do not think those two years were a complete waste of time, (after all, I am going to school for Nursing and I learned a lot about medical procedures in that program) I do feel as though I was not fully ready. I was physically and emotionally ready and took it very seriously, but I did it, at the time, to get a degree. I did not yet know what I wanted to do, so I picked something that sounded ok to me. This time around, I knew exactly what I wanted to become. I have reasons behind my decision and I know nursing is something I will be very passionate about.

Before I enrolled at RCTC, I had thought of many options, other than college, that would work for our family. I could become a Medical Secretary, which is what I originally went to school for,  I could continue to do daycare, or I could find some other job that sounded decent to me. The first option was not really an option at all. There was a reason I never got a job as a Medical Secretary in the first place. I didn't enjoy it. I have had several office jobs, but sitting behind a desk for nine hours a day transcribing words I could hardly understand wasn't something I was interested in doing. Daycare was a good option, but not physically possible. I enjoy doing daycare and am very blessed to be a part of all of my daycare kids lives; however, it is EXHAUSTING. By the end of the week I am so tired I want to spend most of my weekends sleeping or sitting on the couch. There is no way I could do childcare for forty more years. The only other option would be to find another job. I choose college because I want to make a difference in people's lives. I want to be remembered as someone who helped people. Besides, nurses make a pretty decent income.

Choosing to go back to college for the second time was pretty emotional for me. I thought about it for at least six months before telling my husband what I wanted to do. I was scared that he would be angry, I was afraid that he might not support the idea, and I wondered if he would think we could actually afford it. I don't know why I ever would have thought those things. I have the most amazing and supportive husband a girl could ever ask for and as soon as I told him, he was on board. It has been a bit of a struggle trying to juggle life, fitting in homework, and attending night classes, but I know it will be worth it in the end. I just have to keep on truckin'. Getting into my program is an entire separate ball game. The nursing program is extremely sought after and getting in can prove to be a challenge (so I have heard). I have been working so hard though, and am hoping that once I apply, the college will see how much effort I am willing to put into my schooling and will accept me with open arms. I can only hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment